Steps to Adopt
Video Produced by DC London, Inc.
Please check to see if your home is pet-friendly, especially if you rent. If you are looking to adopt a dog, ask about breed or size restrictions.
- A photo ID,
- Any household members who should meet the pet (children, roommates, etc.), and
- Call ahead if you would like to bring your current family dog for an introduction.
- Meet the pet outside of his/her kennel or in his/ her foster home. We may required all members of the household to do so. View locations and hours here. You can also meet your new best friend at one of our adoption events in the community.
- Complete an adoption questionnaire after you have met your desired pet (false, incomplete, or withheld information will void your application).
- Have a consultation with an Adoption Counselor to ensure your intended pet is a good match for your home, and to give you the opportunity to ask questions (if an immediate interview is not possible at the time you submit your application, you will receive a call to discuss your application within 1-2 business days of submission).
- Once your application for adoption is approved, the pet must be picked up within 24 hours. The only exception is if the animal is awaiting spay/neuter surgery.
- Adoption tips and shopping list.
- Your Adoption Counselor will email or call to answer questions and provide resources. Call or email anytime to ask for advice or assistance from the adoptions staff or Behavior and Training team.
Click below to download:
- Dogs: $170
- Cats: $85
- Rabbits: $45
- Guinea Pigs: $20
- Ferrets: $35 (non-DC residents only)
- Other small animals: $10 (housing, bedding, and food not included)
- Small birds (parakeets, finches, etc.): $10
- Birds larger than a budgie: $25
Spay/Neuter, applicable vaccinations, microchip, deworming, heartworm test (dogs), FIV/FeLV test (cats), additional $15 for DC dog license (DC residents only).
- Dogs: leash, collar
- Cats: cat carrier
- Small Animals: appropriate living/travel container
- Paws for Patriots Program for Military Members -
WHS celebrates veterans by offering a 50% reduction on adoption fee upon showing a military ID (active, reserve, or veteran). Under the Pets for Patriots program, military members are eligible for discounted veterinary care for the life of their honorably adopted cat or dog, as well as assistance for purchasing food and other pet supplies. Military adopters will be notified of these additional benefits at the time of their adoption, if not already registered with the Pets for Patriots program. To learn more about Pets for Patriots, visit http://petsforpatriots.org.
- Hidden Gems -
When you visit our adoption centers, look for our HIDDEN GEMS! These animals are our longest term residents; their adoption fee has been waived!
- The Cats Go Marching Two-by-Two -
When you adopt a cat or kitten, you can always adopt a second cat or kitten at a waived adoption fee!
- Seasonal Promotions -
Follow WHS on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to know about other adoption promotions!